Do You Need To Worry About Smart Home Hacking In Elizabethtown?
In many ways, smart components like surveillance systems and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We are able to receive notifications if someone comes up our front steps, and we can have footage delivered to us when questionable behavior is found. Having implements we are able to access over the internet alerts us to prospective risks immediately. But there is one main drawback. The quick access that benefits us is also creating a pathway for hackers.
While you don’t have to lose sleep agonizing over smart home hacking in Elizabethtown, you need to be aware of the risk involved and take steps to steer clear of it.
Methods To Block Smart Home Hacking
It’s amazing how the internet has influenced our lives as all types of products are accessible remotely, including your security devices, smart TVs, and even your refrigerator. The issue is that this produces more opportunities for hackers to sneak into your network. Even so, you don’t need to forgo wireless home defense systems or other smart components. Alternatively, follow these recommendations and take steps to keep intruders away from your network.
- Create hard-to-crack passwords: This is a must for every account, and that includes your wireless configuration. Use upper and lower casing and an assortment of letters, special characters, and numbers. Don’t use birthdays, street names, or anything else hackers might easily guess. A password fabricator will give you something completely random and a password management tool can help you track your different accounts.
- Avoid default settings: When you first unbox your new router, chances are it will come with a preprogrammed password to get you started. Adjust it immediately. Hackers will be aware of these default settings as well. Setting up your private network and home router properly in the beginning is vital in keeping you protected.
- Create a separate network: Why have your smart oven, your home security components, and your home computer on a single network? Most routers will let you create a separate guest network. Be sure to use it and protect important material present on your laptop, desktop, and phone.
- Add protection with a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for commercial networks. They may also be incorporated into your home network. Firewalls will keep an eye on what’s happening on your network and stop suspicious activity. You can opt for a router including an incorporated firewall.
- Use the top encryption options and security protocols: If you have a new router, you might be able to incorporate WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption will be sufficient. You should install home security components that protect with 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Ensure firmware and software is updated: Keep your software and firmware at the latest levels for all devices, which includes your networked camera surveillance. In some cases, these updates will address known issues and bolster your network’s security.
Be Wary of Shoddy Smart Home Components In Elizabethtown
When you work with a reputable company like ADT, you’ll discover that any security vulnerabilities in cameras or other devices are managed in a prompt and expert manner. Other lesser-known brands may not be quite as diligent. Purchasing your surveillance systems, video doorbell, smart thermostat, and additional smart devices from a lone supplier like ADT is a wise choice. And getting all of your equipment installed simultaneously will go a long way to ensuring seamless implementation, operation, and security. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, employs two-way encryption when engaging with with your connected devices.
Request Your Own Elizabethtown Wireless Home Security Package
Now that you have a greater understanding on how to keep your wireless network shielded from hackers, it’s time to get started on your own smart home security system in Elizabethtown. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to customize the right package for your home. Contact us at (270) 262-4315 or complete the form to get started.